Tuesday 27 November 2007

Edit, edit, EDIT!

I have now edited my chapter and slashed (not my writsts) but 2k of words. Lynne thought it might be a bit too long, having re-read it again I think she's right. Now of course, I still think it's too long at 4k, so editing some more. Ohgodohgodohgod! I feel myself spinning.

I have decided to keep Nikki (heroine) as she is, I love her, and really don't see much of a likeness to Bridget. I mean, lets face it, how many of us, faced with a hunky man who comes to your rescue can act in a calm and grown up way! I couldn't. I'd be just like Bridget, flustered and ditsy. Embarrassed as hell, but calm I wouldn't be able to manage.

I think you have to go with gut instinct with your characters.

When happy with edit may well post it and wait for your comments. Will I have to run under a bus. I hope not, not many around here.

4 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

Phew that's a big edit. Well done for being ruthless.

The zukutou website seems to have crashed btw (probably due to NaNo) but writertopia is working. Stick it in your sidebar.

Looking forward to seeing sample chapter:-)
x

Annieye said...

Well done! Please post it Mercedes. We need to all support each other. Or, if you didn't want to post it, send it by e-mail to us all.

I agree with going with your gut instinct. Go for it!

Fiona Mackenzie. Writer said...

Might have missed you at the WC chat room but was at my sister's all day birthday party. I'm now very squiffy.

Is this a short story and if so when can we read it? Is Lynne, the lovely Lynne of Real Writers?

Anonymous said...

I'm new to the editing game and I'm likely to be doing lots of it next year (I will finish the drafts, he tells himself). I've read some advice from JWJ and Stephen King about editing, but have yet to put it into practise.

I'd love to read your chapter before and after the edit, to get an idea of how it's done. In return I'd be happy to feed back my comments - hopefully useful ones.